LG ELECTRONICS INC. (Seoul, KR)
A modular robot can have a connector device that is the first comprising at least one contact array an engine that controls the movements of the robot and a processor for controlling the driving device as well as the first connecting devices. The processor detects the fastening of the first device by a second module device’s second connection device. The second device is a second contact arrangement composed at least one electrode. In response to identifying the module using a contact pattern based on the contact pattern, activate at most one of the functions of the module.
The present disclosure is related to the modular robotic system and in particular to a modular robotic system for understanding the mounting of a modular device.
A robot is typically an automated machine that performs tasks on its own or rely on its own skills. The fields of application of the robot are generally divided into a robot for industrial usage, medical use and space-based use, submarine use and so on.
A robot with modular capabilities that can be combined with other robots was developed in recent times. This allows the completion of specific tasks to be completed by a small robot created to serve. This modular robot can be used as an independent entity, but it can also be integrated with other robots. To this end, the modular robot establishes communication with other robots which are a cooperation target and then transmits and receives predeterminedsignals, thereby determining whether or not the modular robot is coupled to other robots.
To put it another way the robot should be equipped with a communication system to enable communication with other robots. This means that the cost of manufacturing of the robot will increase as well as the size of the machine increases.
The purpose of this disclosure is to create a modular robot which determines whether or not the modular robot is coupled to other robots which are cooperating targets, even without establishing communication with the other robots.
The technical problem that is to be resolved in the present disclosure is not limited to the technical issues mentioned above. Other technical issues that are not discussed can be clearly understood from those described below by a person with a basic understanding in the art.
One embodiment is a modular robotic system that includes: a first connection device including an initial contact array comprised of at least one electrode; a driving device which is configured to implement movement of the modular robot; and a processor which is configured to control the first device for connection as well as the driving device. The processor can be programmed to control the device so that the modular robot is able to detect fastening of the first connection device and a second connection device from a module device including a second contact array composed of at least one electrode, identifies the module device based on a contact pattern that is formed by the first contact array in contact with the second contact array, and then controls at least one function of the driving device and the module device on the basis of the recognition.
A method of operation that is suitable for modular robots is a different embodiment. The operation method consists of: detecting the attachment of a modular robot’s first connection device that includes a first contact arrangement and the second module device’s connecting device, which includes an additional contact array; identifying the module devices on the basis of an interaction pattern between the first and second contact arrays and directing at least one function of the modular robotics as well as a module device’s function that is based on the recognition.
The modular robot in the embodiments of this disclosure recognizes the connection of a module device by using a contact array made up of multiple electrodes which provide a magnetic force, thereby enabling the coupling andidentification of the module device without establishing communication with the module device. Also, the modular robot according to the embodiment of the present disclosure does not have to include a communication circuit for establishingcommunication with the module device, so that the manufacturing cost and size of the modular robot can be reduced.
Advantageous effects that can be obtained from the present disclosure is not limited to the previously mentioned effects. There are other benefits that can be gained from the disclosure. This is demonstrated by the below descriptions which are the result of the work of those skilled in the art.
Click here to view the patent on USPTO website.
Get Patents with PatentPC
What is a patent?
A patent is granted by the government in order to protect the invention. It grants the inventor the exclusive right to create, use and market the invention. Society is benefited when new technology is introduced to the market. These benefits may be directly realized as people are able to achieve previously impossible feats or through the economic benefits which innovation can bring (business growth, jobs).
Many drug companies and researchers at universities seek patent protection to protect their research and development. Patents may cover a physical or abstract product or process, or even an approach or composition of material unique to the field. Patent protection has to be granted to any invention that is valuable or novel and is not yet known by other people in the same area.
Patents are a way to reward inventors for their commercially profitable inventions. They provide a reason for inventors to invent. Small-scale businesses and inventors can be sure that they will earn the most return from their investment in technology advancement through patents. They can earn a living through their work.
Companies that are able to:
Create and protect innovative products and services;
Improve the visibility and the value of your product’s presence on the market
Differentiate your business and products from others.
Get technical and business information.
Beware of the possibility of accidentally using proprietary third-party content, or losing important information, creative outputs, or any other innovative output.
Patents can transform an inventor’s knowledge into a marketable asset which opens new opportunities to create jobs and boost business growth through licensing or joint ventures.
Investors in the commercialization and development of technology will find small-scale businesses that have patent protection appealing.
Patents can lead to fresh ideas and innovative inventions. This information can promote the development of new ideas and may be eligible for patent protection.
Patents can be used to serve as an effective deterrent for untrustworthy third parties who profit from an invention’s efforts.
Revenues from patent-protected technology that are commercially successful can be used to finance technological research and development (R&D) that will boost the likelihood of improved technology in the coming years.
Intellectual property ownership can be used to convince lenders and investors that there are real chances to commercialize your product. Sometimes, a single patent can open the door to multiple financing opportunities. Patents as well as other IP assets can be used as collateral or as security for financing debt. Investors can also see your patent assets to boost the value of your company. Forbes and other sources have pointed out that every patent could add between $500,000 and a million dollars in company valuation.
Startups require a well-constructed business plan that builds on the IP to prove that your product/service is unique and superior or ingenuous. Additionally, investors will be impressed if you show that your IP rights are secure or in progress of being secure and that they are in line with your business plan.
It is vital to keep an invention secret prior to filing for patent protection. It is important to protect an invention prior to making a patent application. A public disclosure could compromise the originality of the invention, making it inepatentable. The filing of disclosures prior to filing, for example, for investors, test-marketing or any other business partners, is best done after signing a confidentiality agreement.
There are many kinds of patents. Understanding them is crucial for protecting your invention. Utility patents cover the development of new methods and machines. Design patents cover ornamental designs. Utility patents are best to protect the owner from copycats and other competitors. In most cases they are granted to improve or modify existing inventions. Utility patents can also be used to enhance or alter existing inventions. A process patent will cover the acts or methods of performing a specific act. But, a chemical composition could be the combination of ingredients.
What is the average length of a patent? While utility patents are valid for 20 years from the date of their earliest filing, they are able to be extended through delays at the patent office.
Do you wish to patent your ideas? Patents are granted only for first-to-file applicants, you need to start filing quickly. Call an attorney for patents at PatentPC to file your invention now!
A patent search is essential when you’re writing the patent application. This will allow you to look at different ideas and give you insight into the potential of them. It will help you reduce the scope of your invention. In addition, you can discover the latest technology in your field of innovation. You’ll have a better idea of what your idea should be, and you’ll be more prepared to submit your patent application.
How to Search for Patents
Patent searches are the very first step to getting your patent. You can do a google patent search or do a USPTO search. Patent-pending is the name used to describe the product that has been protected by the patent application. You can use the public pair to find the patent application. Once the patent office has approved your application, you will be able do a patent number look to locate the issued patent. Your product is now patent-able. It is also possible to use the USPTO search engine. Check out the following article for more information. Patent lawyers or a patent attorney can help you through the procedure. In the US, patents are issued through the US patent and trademark office as well as the United States patent and trademark office, which also examines trademark applications.
Are you interested in similar patents? Here are the steps to follow:
1. Think of terms that describe your invention, based on its purpose and composition or use.
Start by writing down a concise detailed description of your idea. Do not use generic terms such as “device,” “process,” and “system.” Instead, consider synonyms to the terms you selected initially. Then, take note of important technical terms and key words.
Utilize the following questions to help you find the keywords or concepts.
- What is the goal of the invention Is it a utilitarian device or an ornamental design?
- Is the invention a way of making something or performing a function? Is it a product?
- What is the purpose and composition of the invention? What is the physical structure of the invention?
- What is the goal of the invention?
- What are the terms and phrases in the field of technology used to define the nature of an invention? To assist you in finding the appropriate terms, use an online dictionary of technical terms.
2. Use these terms to find pertinent Cooperative Patent Classifications for your invention at the Classification Text Search Tool. If you’re unable to locate the correct classification to describe your invention, look through the classification’s class Schemas (class schedules) and try again. If you don’t get any results from the Classification Text Search, you might want to think about substituting the words to describe your invention with synonyms.
3. Go through the CPC Classification Definition to verify the relevancy of the CPC classification you’ve found. If the selected classification title has a blue box with a “D” at its left, the link will lead you to the CPC classification definition. CPC classification definitions can assist you in determining the classification’s scope so that you can choose the one that is most appropriate. Additionally, these definitions can include research tips and other suggestions which could be helpful for further study.
4. Get patent documents using the CPC classification from the Patents Full-Text and Image Database. You can review and narrow down the most relevant patent publications going first to the abstract and drawings representative of.
5. This selection of patent publication is the best to look at for any similarity with your invention. Be sure to read the claims and specification. Contact the applicant as well as the patent examiner to obtain additional patents.
6. Search for patent applications that have been published using the CPC classification you picked in Step 3 from the Applications Full-Text and Image Database. You can also use the same search strategy that you employed in step 4 to limit your results to the most relevant patent applications by looking over the abstracts and drawings for each page. Next, examine all published patent applications carefully with particular attention paid to the claims as well as other drawings.
7. Find other US patents by keyword searching in the AppFT and PatFT databases, classification searches of non-U.S. patents per below, and searching non-patent publications of inventions with web search engines. For instance:
- Add keywords to your search. Keyword searches may turn up documents that are not well-categorized or have missed classifications during Step 2. For example, US patent examiners often supplement their classification searches with keyword searches. Think about the use of technical engineering terminology rather than everyday words.
- Search for foreign patents using the CPC classification. Then, re-run the search using international patent office search engines such as Espacenet, the European Patent Office’s worldwide patent publication database of over 130 million patent publications. Other national databases include:
- European Patent Office (EPO) provides esp@cenet to access a network of Europe’s patent databases with access to machine translation of European patents.
- Japan Patent Office (JPO) – with access to machine translations of Japanese patents.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) offers PATENTSCOPE with a full-text search of published international patent applications and machine translations for some documents, as well as a list of international patent databases.
- Korean Intellectual Property Rights Information Service (KIPRIS)
- State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) with machine translation of Chinese patents.
- Other International Intellectual Property Offices with online patent databases include Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.
- Search non-patent literature. Inventions can be made public in many non-patent publications. It is recommended that you search journals, books, websites, technical catalogs, conference proceedings, and other print and electronic publications.
To review your search, you can hire a registered patent attorney to assist. A preliminary search will help one better prepare to talk about their invention and other related inventions with a professional patent attorney. In addition, the attorney will not spend too much time or money on patenting basics.